New MonacoPhoto

Drought Family Heritage

THE EARLY YEARS

In 1904, John, Maude and Henry Drought acquired District Lot 2690 and brought all their worldly goods from Manitoba to make a new life on Okanagan Lake. They built a home on the lower portion of the property in 1905 which is today occupied by one of the family’s great grandsons.

AGRICULTURE

Key to the cultivation of the arid hillside was irrigation. Between 1905 and 1907, the family worked by hand to build a ditch that carried water all the way from Trepanier Creek. This supply enabled the family to eventually plant 41 acres of fruit, including two blocks of peaches (which required defending from bear and deer as well as the elements).

John Drought’s brother in law built the first home for his family on what is today the New Monaco property around the 1930s and farmed the eastern part of the holding. They subsequently abandoned this home, using some of the lumber for a smaller one that still stands close to Highway 97.

Over the course of a century, the Drought family and its descendants the Ryders have given much to the community, including service by both John Drought and his son Ted as District Councillors.

IN THE PLAN

The irrigation channel across the property and the orchards it sustained are further historic features that the New Monaco Planning Team wishes to highlight within the new community.

Ryder

The New Monaco property is a portion of one of Peachland’s pioneer landholdings – the Drought Creek Farm.

© 2017 - New Monaco LP | All Rights Reserved